Other Islands of Biodiversity
ISLANDS OF BIODIVERSITY:
"Islands" managed specifically to enhance soil life, plant life and animal life, whilst preserving local genetics.
Defining "Islands of Biodiversity" has in a way been a cry for broader community assistance:
Kachana Pastoral Company believes that "Islands of Biodiversity" pave the way for encouraging community commitment towards restorative landcare. They put in place effective management structures and enable the appropriate custodianship of the natural assets that make our region so special.
Sponsorship is sought to put in place the effective custodianship of other key areas...
(Areas to be renamed by the sponsors.)
- The Cyprus Pine nursery on the Elgee Cliffs.
- Wildfire mitigation measures initiated in 1987 have seen a healthy level of reproduction of this locally threatened tree species
- The Little Yarra Gene Reservoir.
- Three mature Cyprus pines remain alive in this area. There are no seedlings
- Upper Wanjamya Creek Catchment.
- Rugged inaccessible country that has in all probability never seen a hard-hoofed migrant to Australia let alone a vehicle. We wish to protect key species in this area with the establishment of an Island of Biodiversity.
Similarly we see the need for Islands of Biodiversity in:
- The Barra-Creek region
- The Savory Creek region
- The South Stock-Route Valley region
- The Upper Kachana Creek catchment
- The South Chamberlain region
Kachana Pastoral Company is also in a good position to assist in pointing out appropriate sites for Islands of Biodiversity in other upper-river rainfall-catchment areas of the region Kachana Pastoral Company can also offer practical management advice.
We are all called on throughout the year to donate to this cause or to that cause... Most are noble and worthy, but we simply dare not always oblige...
No human will suffer any less today if we sponsor environmental causes... it is not for us to go begging when people on the planet are sick and starving...
Islands of Biodiversity cannot replace compassion for our fellow human.
Islands of Biodiversity are designed to address the root cause of poverty: impoverished, unhealthy and dysfunctional environments will lead to impoverished people, ill health, social breakdown and violence over diminishing resources.
Opting for restorative development is a viable alternative…
Visit the same area a few years later: